Thursday, November 16, 2017

Camille's Kettlebell Journey: My First Class



On my second day as a personal assistant at Seattle Kettlebell Club, I finally stepped into new fitness territory by taking the Core-6 Fundamentals Workshop, which is the required introduction class for anyone who thought that kettlebells had any relations to popcorn or simply know nothing about proper technique. 

The class consisted of seven other people, which obviously makes the environment a lot less intimidating while also allowing the instructor to pay close attention to each participant’s form. When I was in college, I remember attending Zumba or Kickboxing classes that consisted of 30+ people, and it was easy to practice bad form when I was crammed in the back of the studio out of sight from the instructor. 

I should also mention that I have terrible coordination and hate playing contact sports, which is probably why I found myself drawn to the gym when I started college 7 years ago, and kettlebell training requires quite a bit of hand eye coordination. I mean, I do not think anyone wants to hit themselves in the face with a kettlebell. 

Being someone who has lifted weights for about six years, I’m used to curling 20-25lbs weights, but there was no way in hell that I was about to swing a 20lbs dumbbells, and I was mildly disappointed when the instructor had me handle the least heavy kettlebell (4 kilograms) since I do pride myself in my strength. Plus, the 4-kg kettlebell is yellow, which is totally not my color.  However, I could tell he sensed my lack of confidence, and I was more comfortable performing the moves with a lighter weight.  One of my biggest pieces of advice for newcomers is to start with the lowest weight possible. Bodybuilding/ dumbbell lifting are an entirely different practice. Just because you can bench or squat your body weight does not mean you can swing a kettlebell of the same weight. 




This class focuses on the Core-6 basic kettlebell exercises: swing, snatch, rack, clean, press, and jerk. Do not be intimidated by the fact that the class is two hours, for this beginner’s class is much less of a workout and focuses much more on proper technique and introduction for performing these exercises safely and effectively. Along with watching videos or showing us pictures of the moves, the instructor also walked us step by step through each exercise. The class offers excellent instruction for those who are either visual or auditory learners. 

We also practiced each move multiple times, and did short sets of one minute, where the instructor would patiently correct each trainee on their form. Do not worry about feeling insecure about being corrected; everyone was struggling at more than one point. I cannot stress enough how necessary this class is for newcomers. For any new exercise, proper instruction and safety tips are essential for preventing injury. Also, do not forget to stretch after! 

So where do I plan on going from here? My next step is trying out the GAP class, which is a mix of kettlebell and body weight exercises. Of course, I would like to continue heavy training, and yoga as well, but I look forward to incorporating kettlebells into my workout.  For someone who despises running, I’m always looking for new ways to gain endurance and get my heart pumping. 

Look for more blogs post as I hopefully improve my kettlebell skills. If you’re interested in the Core-6 Fundamentals Workshop, classes will be hosted this Tuesday the 21st, and Saturday the 25th. Visit our website to reserve your spot today!

No comments:

Post a Comment