Monday, July 16, 2018

Motivation Monday: SKC Member Breaks American Record

Recently, Ruben Galvan broke an American kettlebell sport record in biathlon at the Crazy Monkey USA Kettlebell Sport Championship. At the same competition, Galvan also achieved his first CMS (Candidate for Master of Sport) which is not too bad for someone who was training with 8 kg weights when he first gave kettlebells a swing just over 3 years ago. 

“After they said that I hit a US record, I was like ‘Oh my goodness. That’s not even me, who is that?”’ Galvan said. “I’m the worst at self-doubt, so I walked in there not knowing how I was going to do and shoot for as many reps as I could get. I was assuming I was going to do good, but I didn’t know I was going to do this good.” 

Photo Credit: Truong Nguyen


During his set at the competition, Galvan recalls the encouragement from the crowd as they chanted his name in celebration. 

“I had to shake away all my anxiety, fear, and doubt as soon as I started lifting,” Galvan said. “I had to clear my head of everything, and I had to make it happen.” 

Galvan says that his diet has improved greatly over the past few years but leading up to this competition, he made a huge effort to cut down on beer, pasta, bread, and sugar, dropping not only 15lbs, but also moving down a weight class for the competition. 

Galvan first started showing interest in kettlebells when he was working out at Ridge Fitness, where SKC was holding classes prior to opening their own gym. 

I ride bikes more. I’m starting to run and row more. It gives me more energy at work, too. If you want to think of it in a mental way, it lowers my stress.”  Photo Credit: Matt Burns


“I’ve tried a bunch of CrossFit gyms. I’ve done LA Fitness, 24 Hour fitness, and I just never got in the kind of shape I am now,” Galvan said. “The heavy weight lifting mixed with pure cardio and a good diet really helped turn around my physique.”

Straight from the get go, Galvan appreciated SKC's professional environment, lack of gymtimidation, and how encouraging all the coaches were. In fact, he was so encouraged that it didn’t take him long to get the urge to compete.

“Everybody’s super helpful and supportive unlike what you get at any other gym,” Galvan said. “Keep an open mind. That’s what I did. When I first started with the 16’s [kg kettlebells], I thought there was no freakin way I could go to 20’s.” 

Photo Credit: Matt Burns
Like many members at SKC, Galvan notes that many of his friends and family misconceive what kind of workout he’s doing.

“They think it’s heavy weight lifting training, and it’s not. It’s a whole body workout mixed with heavier weights, but only if you choose to use heavy weights,” Galvan said. 

Galvan’s future kettle-goal is to start competing with the 28 kg and 32 kg bells, but his dream is to rival Coach Misha and be able to snatch the 40 kg. 

“I want a shirt that says Misha Jr,” Galvan jokes.

-Camille Borodey

2 comments:

  1. We’re proud of you brother!! Keep at it! You’ll be lifting the 40kg’s soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, what a awesome dude and my bro took it upon himself to get better every day with diet and lifting weights,what a sports of kettle bells.He dominate his sport with a heart of a champion and set a new record,God bless you brother. Thanks Jordan Hill

    ReplyDelete