Saturday, June 16, 2018

Happy Father’s Day: Father and Son Bond at SKC


Back in April, Ken Zick saw the 21 Day Challenge as an excellent way to push himself to consistently work out and to focus on improving his conditioning, joint injuries, flexibility, and strength. Now for the June challenge, Ken’s 14 year old son, Bodhi, is joining him for some serious father/son kettle-bonding.

During the snowboard season, Ken and Bodhi try to hit the slopes every weekend, and Ken just ran his first half marathon last Sunday with his dad. He recalls being nervous when his father called him asking to do the Rock N Roll Marathon, but thanks to kettlebells, he got into fighting shape!

“There was no way I was in condition. I figured if I did the challenge, it would provide a base,” Ken said. “I remember when I first came in, Nikolai told me that after the challenge, respiratory wise, I would be ready for the half marathon, and it worked. Now, I’ll probably run it again next year.”


Question: What was your first impression after taking the Core-6 Workshop?

Bodhi: “Oh man, it was so much fun. I’ve taken a lot of fitness classes, and a lot of times you need to be able to build up enough stamina to move up, but with kettlebell it’s cool because you’re using variable weight. You know all the moves from the very beginning, and you can build up as you go along.”

Ken adds that he was impressed by the sport's emphasis on form and personal achievement, and since he’s been recovering from some joint injuries, he says “It was nice to be able to show up and go at my own pace.”

Question: Bodhi, your dad has been coming to SKC a little longer than you. What peaked your interest?

Bodhi: “He initially was talking about how much fun it was. I got to eat the 21 Day Challenge diet with him, which was fun. The way that he described it sounded fun, and I’ve been interested in kettlebells for a while.”



Question: What is your favorite part of coming to KettleFit?

Ken: “I don’t feel like I’m repeating myself every time, so it doesn’t get boring, but I can see progress every week.”

Bodhi agrees, adding “every day I’m learning new exercises. It’s cool because I can take those and do them at home.”

Question: Do you feel like working out together has strengthened your family bond?

Bodhi: “It’s quite literally going to strengthen us especially as I go into my teens years with brain development and feeling angry or emo and whatever. It’s something I can go out and do with my dad and still have a connection. It’s also nice that we both do it because it gives me more incentive.”

Ken: “I would add that it’s different when we share an activity. When he was on the swim team, it was a kid’s swim team, so we could go and support with the other parents on the sidelines, but it’s nice when I can go to the same classes. He keeps track of me all the time for the diet and the menu. He’s got an older brother who is out with a back injury right now, but he’d be down here with us too if he wasn’t injured. We are trying to talk his mom into coming too.”

Question: Bodhi, you’re one of our younger members. What’s it like working out with people significantly older than you?

Bodhi: “I find that it makes me want to work harder. I’m like ‘that guy over there is old, and he can do this, so that means I should be able to do better than him because I’m younger.’ I’ll see people using the really heavy weights, and so I keep trying to build up every week.”

Question: On days when you just don’t feel like working out, how do you motivate yourself?

Bodhi: “I’ll be like ‘I don’t know if I want to go in today” and my dad will say ‘well, I’m going in, so you can get a ride’ or vice versa.”’

Question: What advice would you give to someone who is giving kettlebells a swing for the first time?


Bodhi: Even if you can do it, always start out with the lowest weights. It’s really important to be able to get your form down and understand the motions and movement.”

Ken: “After the first three sessions I came to, I was having trouble getting in and out of the car because I was so sore and using 6-kilogram bells. One of the things that has been helpful for me has been to start with a lighter weight than I think I can do until I can do the full set. If I’m done with a set and I don’t feel worn out, I know next time I can go harder, but I’ve never regretted going lighter.”

Question: Is there anything else you want to add?

Bodhi: “I truly appreciate how nice all the instructors are. The air here is very friendly, and people just want you to do your personal best, and I appreciate that.”

-Camille Borodey

No comments:

Post a Comment