Monday, March 18, 2019

Motivation Monday: Heath Hayden Finds Strength in Kettlebells

Heath Hayden has always been super strong, which is why their wife suggested that they give kettlebell training a try. Although nervous about taking the Intro Classes, Heath now comes to Seattle Kettlebell Club 4 times and week! 

“I came in with chronic back pain, and after a month I realized my back didn’t hurt anymore,” Heath said. “I have more flexibility and more mobility, and I’ve noticed a huge improvement in my abilities to move about and do physical things.”

PC: Truong Win

Heath takes both KettleFIT and KettleSPORT classes at SKC. They enjoy SPORT for the technique training and FIT for the variety of exercises.

"It seems like Seattle Kettlebell club is constantly adding variety into movement, which I really appreciate," Heath said. "This is the only workout that has worked for me for probably a decade in terms of consistency. I think it’s largely because of the variety, and the instructors are really dedicated to helping improve. I just learn something new every time I come.”

Heath has also participated in SKC’s 21 Day Challenge on multiple occasions.

“I like that it’s a small period, and I like setting goals for myself. I think actually with doing the 21 Day Challenge, I’ve gotten more into goal setting, and I’ve never been into that at all," Heath said. 

Training for competitions is another way that our members set goals, and Heath competed for the first time back in December at SKC’s 2nd Annual Pro-Am. They praise other members and the trainers for helping them come to the realization that competitions are much more about each lifter’s personal goals than they are about competing with others. 


Heath had a whole crew of supporters during SKC's last competition.
PC: Truong Win

And while Heath's fast progress and high class attendance is enough to prove that they love SKC, we can all admit that once in a while we need a little extra motivation to get to the gym after a long day’s work. 

“I think part of the effort is just getting here, but there have been times where I’ve not wanted to come and forced myself to be here. Then I came, and I felt 100 times better afterwards,” Heath said. “Forty-Five minutes is the perfect amount of exercise, but it’s also good quality exercise. Usually I just tell people, ‘it’s only 45 minutes. You can get through anything in 45-minutes.”’


PC: Truong Win 

Speaking of work, Heath is a librarian at Bellevue college and the chair of the LGTBQ Task Force on campus. When they aren’t swinging bells at SKC, Health enjoys aqua aerobics and exploring Washington. They also note that training with the SKC crew has improved their overall quality of life. 

“I really love Seattle Kettlebell Club. I love coming here. I love the members. They are so friendly and nice. Everybody’s always checking in with me; the instructors are really awesome too, and I just love the community feel," Heath said. 



 -Camille Borodey 

No comments:

Post a Comment