Thursday, November 14, 2019

Four Reasons Why This Couple Loves SKC

With varying work schedules, Derek Wankel and Beth Winchell find that they cannot usually work out together. However, the couple has enjoyed finding a healthy hobby at a gym where they are both able to focus on their individual goals. 

1. Seattle Kettlebell Club’s training has improved their mental and physical health for the better.

“When I moved to Seattle seven years ago, I was at my unhealthiest. Now I’m at the healthiest I’ve been since my early college days,” Derek said. “Because of the progression I've made here, I definitely try to eat better, and I do find that I’m surrounding myself with more fitness minded people.”

Beth works as a consultant, so she appreciates that SKC has a variety of class times to cater to her busy schedule.

“With work, I’m often kind of stressed out and overwhelmed. When I come here, it just resets me and gives me a mental pause,” Beth said. 



2. While the classes are challenging, they are also beginner friendly.

Like many of our current members, Derek and Beth gave CrossFit a try but found that some of the exercises weren’t accessible. Derek recalls being asked to do handstand push-ups at his first class- a little intimidating for a newcomer!

“I think what made SKC effective for me was that I saw people of all ages and all ranges of health- tall, short, old, young, skinny, fat, muscular. Everyone here is super welcoming and going at their own pace. It feels like more of a community where people cheer each other on. I’ve never lasted more than 3 months at any type of strength program until now,” Derek said.

PC: Matt Burn Photography

3. They both love the coaches!

“That’s the number one thing that gets people coming back is when they have a good experience with coaches,” Beth adds. “I love that every class is different, and time just flies by. For me, I can come to any class, and I know that I’ll have a good time.”

4. They can continue to reach and make new goals for themselves.

With his own drive and help from regular training sessions with trainer Hailey, Derek has become ingrained in the competition lifestyle and notes he’s become addicted to coming to the 5 am classes.

“I like to come here and push and challenge myself,” Derek said. “I always think about when I started here and took a beginners class with 6-kilogram weights.”

Now, Derek is training hard for his third competition where he'll be doing a 10-minute biathlon (Jerk+Snatch) with 16-kilogram bells at Seattle Kettlebell Clubs's 3rd Annual Pro-Am.

“It has been really cool watching Derek do the sport stuff and be super focused. Just learning about the way they approach the training cycles is interesting to me,” Beth praises.

While Derek is engrossed in training for his next competition, Beth is focusing on keeping her workouts consistent, and she’s set a goal of coming to 100 classes in 2019. She also compares her training to learning a new sport as a kid.




“I really didn’t have much happening besides work, so it’s cool to just have another activity that I’m doing that I care about,” Beth said. “It’s fun to feel like I’m growing and learning something new.”

Thank you for being a part of the SKC community, Derek and Beth!


-Camille Borodey 

No comments:

Post a Comment