Friday, November 23, 2018

Fitness Friday: Mother and Son Make Kettlebells Part of Their Early Morning Routine

After recovering from a shoulder injury 2.5 years ago, Lisa Thomas stumbled upon Seattle Kettlebell Club and realized kettlebell training was the full body fitness tool she’d been looking for. Now, she and her 15-year-old son Elek come to SKC four times a week.

“Kettlebells have helped me develop new muscles, and other parts of my back are stronger than they've ever been,” Lisa said.


Both Lisa and Elek started with the KettleFIT classes and agree that the sport side of kettlebells seemed like such a foreign concept to them, but now they’ve both competed multiple times.

“The people are fantastic, and it’s just a welcoming, encouraging environment," Lisa said. "I would never have even thought about competing if a bunch of people weren’t telling me 'you should come to the competitions.'"

Lisa and Elek will both be competing in SKC’s Pro-Am on Dec 1st. Lisa’s goal is to rank CMS (Candidate for Master of Sport) with a 16-kilo 5-minute biathlon (Jerk+Snatch). She also notes that the IKFF competition back in September was a big turning point for her and Elek’s training since that was the last competition where they'd be lifting the same weight. 

“I remember when 6-kilos felt hard. Now, I’m trying to finish my set with the 20s,” Elek said. “I’d love to get Rank 1. I think the competitions are just a good environment- a lot of supportive people. It’s a good time.”

Lisa and Elek are among the dedicated members who come to class at 5:15 am.

“The 5 am people at any gym are the best people,” Lisa said. "It’s been so cool to see everyone fold Elek in. No one treats him like he’s a kid. Everybody’s equal at 5:15 am.”


Elek and Lisa both joke about how Elek’s father was skeptical about his teenage son waking up so early to make it to class, but Lisa is proud that he has stuck it, and they both agree that SKC has become too much a part of their routine to lose motivation.

“I always like to get energy out in the morning, so I can focus on school and the rest of my day,” Elek said.

Elek plays ultimate frisbee after school, and he’s hopeful to start wrestling in the Winter, and Lisa works at UW leading the school’s fundraiser campaign.

“It’s just cool that it’s a thing we can do together. Being a teenager, Elek’s got his activities, and his life and his school, and I have my work and my stuff. It’s just cool as your kids become adults to have things that you share with them,” Lisa said.

Lisa also praises kettlebells for being such an accessible exercise.

“Almost any other activity, we found ourselves doing it differently. He can probably run faster than I can, but I can run farther,” Lisa said. “That’s what’s cool about kettlebells is everyone is at different weights and different paces, but you’re all doing it together.”


Although Lisa and Elek have never formally participated in the 21 Day Challenge since they already come 4 times a week, Lisa has done her own version of the challenge’s diet plan.

“I had quite the diet coke habit for a long time," Lisa said. "After giving it up for 21 days, I completely lost my taste for it, and I haven’t had it since, so that was unexpected benefit.”

When asking Lisa and Elek if they had anything to add Lisa said,

“I really give Amber and Nikolai all the credit because they had a vision, and they’ve created exactly their vision- a tight but open and inclusive community. I never would have guessed that kettlebell would be my sport. Our family thinks we're a little nuts, but they're supportive.”

Lisa and Elek are currently on the two-person Kodiak membership. If you have a friend of partner who’d like to join, sign up now. The rates for The Kodiak are going up soon!

-Camille Borodey 

No comments:

Post a Comment