Monday, January 21, 2019

Long Term Fitness Enthusiast Finds Her Sport

With a career as a running, strength, and conditioning coach, much of Leah Kangas’s life has revolved around fitness, but with kettlebells she says she’s finally found her sport. 

“I think I may have had a crush on the gym for a while through social media and YouTube and maybe a crush on the sport. It just took me acting on it a while,” Leah said. 

Photo Credit: Truong Win

After college, Leah began ultra-running (longer races than marathons), and she dabbled in other fitness practices. Kettlebell training originally appealed to her because of the healthy mix of strength and endurance the sport offers. 

Leah joined SKC back in August to do some private sessions with Nikolai, (SKC co-owner) so she could learn the technique and programming of kettlebell sport, but she quickly grew to love the gym’s environment. 

“It was clear how much he cares, and how much the other coaches care, and there is a solid community here,” Leah said. “Everybody introduces themselves and seems to root for each other, and that seems really special. This gym is so newbie friendly and welcoming.”

Leah’s first competition was at Seattle Kettlebell Club’s Pro-Am on. Dec.1st 

“I wasn’t sure how I would like standing in front of people like that, but it was actually a nice challenge to stay in the zone with technique and breathing,” Leah said. “It was a fun experience to have and succeed at. The training cycle was put together so well, so I felt super prepared and confident going in.”

At the Pro-Am, Leah completed a 10-min biathlon (jerk & snatch) with 8-kg kettlebells, and she hopes to compete with 12-kg bells at her next competition. Leah was one of many SKC members competing for the first time at the pro-am, and she praises the gym for being so inclusive. 

Along with coaching athletes, Leah is also a massage therapist: Photo Credit: Truong Win

“It was super fun to just see all the newbies competing. I think that’s such a skill for a coach or a coaching community to have that many people comfortable enough to step up and try something different,” Leah said. 

Leah’s experience has taught her that many athletes can over-train, so she notes that she appreciates that classes at SKC are 45-minutes, and she’s able to get an effective workout without overdoing it. She also notes that the sport has helped her balance her fitness, work, and social life, and she feels fortunate to have so much support in and outside of SKC.  

“I feel like a lot of people in my work life have felt really supported by me for so long, so my friends and my client base were so excited to see me compete. I’ve been teasing that I was going to do this for so long, so they were just super excited to see me so excited,” Leah said.  

You don’t have to be an aspiring athlete to swing kettlebells; we cater to people of all fitness levels! Sign up for an intro package today!  

-Camille Borodey 

No comments:

Post a Comment