Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Steiner Sisters Pave the Way for the Next Generation of Kettlebell Lifters


At 14 and 16, Scarlett and Lyra Steiner are two of the youngest team members on Seattle Kettlebell Club’s Sport Team. After seeing them work hard at our KettleFIT and KettleSPORT classes on a regular basis along with hitting big numbers at SKC’s Pro-am back in December, I sat down with them to chat about their experience at SKC. 


How did you get involved with SKC?

Lyra: “Our parents. Their old gym closed, and they came here. I really didn’t want to do it at first, but then our dad kind of made us do it, and we ended up liking it more than he does.”

You both started with the KettleFIT classes. What lured you to give SPORT a try?

Lyra: “I was here on the first day of the sport cycle, and I wasn’t planning on taking the Sport class, but Nora invited me over, and encouraged me to try it, and I really liked it!” 

Scarlett: “And Lyra encouraged me to do it. I was hesitant because everyone seemed like such a team, and I didn’t think I was ready, but I tried it out, and I really liked it. I really like being part of a team.”

Photo Credit: Truong Win

You guys are some of our younger members. What is it like working out with an older crowd?

Scarlett: “At first, I felt self-conscience because I thought people would just see me as some random kid, but I like being able to do the things that they do.” 

Lyra: “I’ve never felt excluded here or anything. It’s a great atmosphere even though I’m half the age of a lot of people.”

What do you two like about the competition side of things?

Scarlett: “The competition was so fun for me. I didn’t think I could do how many reps I did, but everyone was cheering, and I was able to. That was really gratifying.” 


 What is your favorite part of coming to class every day?

 Lyra: “The community is really great. I know most people in the classes, and they’re supportive. I can see people progressing, and they can see me progressing.” 

What are your goals for future competitions?

Scarlett: “I’d love to catch up to Lyra eventually. That’s a big part of my motivation. I would like to continue doing kettlebells as long as I can.” 

Lyra: “I want to be able to lift the 16s [kilogram kettlebells].” 

How has coming here improved other aspects of your life? 

Scarlett: “I always feel good when I’m here. I feel strong, and that transfers to my home and school life.”

Have a friend are partner who wants to join SKC with you? Scarlett and Lyra are on the Kodiak Membership: two people on one payment. Sign up now! We're raising the prices soon!

-Camille Borodey

No comments:

Post a Comment